College & Career Center
Welcome to the College/Career Center - located in C35 which is accessed via C36!
Please stop in and see what is available to assist in your quest for continued success in education and/or career.
Career Center Events Calendar - check for college visits, ASVAB Testing, and College Application Workshops
College and Career: Click to join
Valley Now: Click to join
Mr. Yu has the center open from 7:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. He is available to assist students before and after school, at lunch, and anytime he has an open computer for you to use.
There are various options available to you and he is very happy to help with each:
- Community Colleges
- Cal State University System
- University of California System
- Private Colleges/Universities
- Technical/Vocational Schools
- Military Service
- Valley Now Classes
Our Bulletin Board is located just outside the class - Information on:
- Financial Aid (FAFSA, Scholarships)
- Test dates for SAT and ACT
- Job opportunities
- Community service /Volunteer opportunities
- College Presentations
Mr. Yu schedules students through their English classes to research both career opportunities and college options.
Each grade level has a focused one week unit -
- Seniors are assisted in the completion of the Senior Portfolio/Scholarship Portfolio, college/scholarship applications, and FAFSA completion.
- Juniors work on researching colleges based on their specific criteria and choice of major/program.
- Sophomores use assessment inventory in order to research specific occupations and the educational requirements needed along with comparing various career options they are interested in pursuing.
- Freshman are introduced to the College/Career center and begin the process of assessments, career search, and comparisons.
Work Permits are issued by Mr. Yu in C35. - The work permit application can be accessed here. Students will need to download the form and fill it out using Adobe Reader, Kami, Dochub, or a similar application. Students need a GPA of 2.0 or higher and need to be hired before filling out a request form. Once a form has been filled out, it can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA in order to keep permit active - grades are checked by Mr. Yu each quarter.
Work Experience Education - 25 students are hired through Mr. Yu to work in the school cafeteria - openings are advertised twice a year, in November and February for possible openings for the coming semester/year.
Mr. Yu schedules college presentations and connects interested students with Military recruiters.
Work Permits during Summer Break:
All minors under the age of 18 years, who have not graduated from high school or received a Certificate of Equivalency, must obtain a Work Permit prior to employment. Proof of age is required. Work Permits are issued virtually via email between 8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday during the summer months when school is not in session. To obtain a Work Permit, students must complete the following steps:
1. Obtain and complete a “Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit” (CDE Form B1-1) at:
2. The document must be signed and completed by the employer when the student is offered a job. The form also requires student and parent signatures, docu-sign signatures are permitted.
3. Email a scan or photo of the completed B1-1 form to the SBCUSD College and Career Success Department with signatures to have the Work Permit issued. Email scan or photo to: CollegeandCareerRedi@sbcusd.k12.ca.us
4. For charter school students, please email a scan or photos of most recent grades,* attendance* and proof of age such as birth certificate.
5. The Work Permit will be processed, signed and sent via email.
*Summer work permits do not require proof of grades and attendance.